Online Teacher Training
Comprehensive instruction for professionals
focused on teaching yoga to clients with Parkinson’s Disease
Discover how yoga helps ease symptoms of this chronic movement disorder.
The most moving and exhilarating thing I’ve ever witnessed…
...was a man with the uncontrollable tremors and limiting movement of Parkinson’s Disease stand up from a chair with ease, and walk forward, smiling with accomplishment.
Parkinson’s Disease is a chronic and progressive movement disorder that affects nearly 1 million people in America. The cause is unknown. There is no cure.
Yet, medical experts and movement disorder specialists now recognize that yoga can ease many of the symptoms of the disease.
Indeed, I have watched a man with uncontrollable tremors settle into peaceful stillness in Savasana. I’ve helped a woman strengthen her gait enough to walk with ease down the aisle at her daughter’s wedding.
I’ve witnessed moments of enlightenment, glimpses of hope and an abundance of optimism.
I can show you how to bring moments like this to your own therapeutic practice.
Yoga for Parkinson's Online Teacher Training
Online Training in 4 Months
I’ve been working with clients with Parkinson’s Disease for more than a decade, teaching in both one-on-one private sessions and group classes. Through thousands of hours of experience, I’ve learned how yoga can provide grace and fluidity of movement to people who struggle daily to even lift their foot or put on their jacket.
That’s what I want to share with you.
You’ll learn how to work with clients with Parkinson’s Disease at your own pace from the comfort of your home or office.
This course includes recorded learning sessions and practices to be viewed on your own schedule. This intensive training is supplemented by scheduled live group teleconferences where you’ll learn, explore, discuss and share the course material with your fellow yoga therapists under my personal guidance.
One-time payment of $797.
Payment plan available.
What You'll Learn
- An overview of Parkinson’s Disease and how Yoga helps.
- How to find your voice and use your own practice to adapt Yoga for those with PD.
- Cueing and sequencing a group class, with emphasis on safety and stability, and how to adapt traditional practices to meet students’ needs.
- Sequencing a Chair Yoga Class and creating themed classes.
- Nurturing community and support within the structure of the class.
- Gaining confidence working with the symptoms of PD and side effects of medication.
- Practical application and mentorship of your skills by working with a client during training.
- Marketing your class and developing business relationships with health pros.
- Finding funding for your class.
- Mastering self-care to maintain your energy and focus.
In the past decade, Theresa has taught yoga to hundreds of students with movement disabilities at her private practice in Philadelphia. She’s a Certified Yoga Therapist, a Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider and a popular speaker who has presented at the annual Symposium on Yoga Therapy and Research. Her group classes have been recognized by healthcare professionals and funded by The Parkinson’s Council.
Theresa's class has been such a gift. I feel comfortable in her presence and I feel I have learned as much if not more from her than my doctor about how PD affects the body.
Yoga for Parkinson's student Karen V.
As an experienced mentor to yoga therapists, I can help you through my Yoga for Parkinson’s Mentorship Program. In one-to-one sessions, we’ll focus on your needs.
- Find your footing in this growing and vibrant profession
- Earn practicum hours
- Develop your practice
- Deepen your Yoga for PD training experience
- Increase your reach and impact
- Improve your clients’ quality of life
I love my role as mentor because I’m passionate about sharing my knowledge and expertise with students, and helping them see the incredible value in their work.
You’ll receive three hours of one-to-one mentorship via Skype, plus email support and lifetime access to the course’s programming materials. Mentorship hours and appointments will be arranged individually, with additional hours available as needed.